Time-sensitive networking or TSN as it is usually referred to as a collection of standards that operates under the IEEE802.1 networking group. The TSN technology consists of multiple international standards.
TSN and Business
With the automation industry running at a pace, a quite bit of time and space has been given to explain the TSN technology. The implementation of TSN as led to the creation of a universal industrial network, pertaining to the digital transformation of the industry.
There are various benefits of using TSN technology in the industrial field.
- Bandwidth: Industrial ethernets have limited half-duplex communication and a restriction of 100 Mb bandwidth. A lot of strain is put on the networks in the case of large data sets, 3D scanning and power analysis. TSN will support full-duplex communication with higher bandwidth ranging from 1 Gb to 400 Gb version in the IEEE 802.3.
- Security: With the implementation of TSN technology, top-notch IT security is ensured. Segmentation, temporal composability, and performance protection helps to offer a greater level of defense to the concerned unit.
- Latency and Synchronization: TSN technology puts a lot of emphasis on low- latency communication required for fast system response and closed-loop control application.
- Ease of Network Configuration: TSN with its automated intelligent configuration tools can configure itself, without any technicians having to spin his head around it. The network understands the requisites for desired performance and can switch specific services on and off as and when required.
- Reduced System Costs: As mentioned earlier, TSN technology is the convergence of various traffic classes on a single network, and therefore reduces system costs of configuring each one individually. Hardware and system cost are also reduced due to the fewer devices and cable required.
- Future Enhancements: The TSN technology is a part of the Ethernet family and thus is not limited to just bandwidth and other performance criteria. There can always be the addition and discovery of nodes to the network via standard networking protocols.
Summarizing it all, the use of the TSN technology in the industrial field has given new leaps to the automation industry. It has made easier networking and information flow. It has also reduced the complexities and big setups that existed earlier. With the advent of TSN technology, industries are becoming compact and have greater profit margins.